Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mac got his central line put in this morning and the rest of today is dedicated to recovery and getting ready for tomorrow when the treatment will start. The next two weeks seem the most intense and then just a steady dose of medicine until he's recovered (there may be another intense session in 3 months if he doesn't respond well enough to the first one). The central line was put in so that they can administer IV's and draw blood without having to poke him every time. Mo and I will learn to clean and maintain the line, as well as give injections! Yikes! As I said earlier, we are hoping for as few side effects as possible, as few inpatient episodes, and a sure cure in the end. (With this treatment plan there is always the possibility that it doesn't work, and there is also a chance of relapse. We're not even thinking about that now. We're only thinking positive!)

I'm including Mac's comment from an email he sent last night on what he thinks is going on: "I'm doing fine, but I'm supposed to go in patient tomorrow to start my treatment. It's supposed to make me hairy. (It's horse serum) "

As you can see, parents hear, "this is an intense treatment schedule with various side effects" and what an 11 year old boy hears is "I'm going to be hairy and take horse serum." It pays to be young.

8 comments:

  1. You're all definitely in my prayers. Keeping as many positive thoughts coming as possible.

    Chimene St. Amant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barb & Mo,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys! If there is anything that we can do to help, like take the kids for an afternoon, just let us know.
    Mac...keep your chin up, keep smiling, and have nothing but positive thoughts. We are praying for your speedy recovery!

    Take care,
    Mark, Thais, Kevin, Sammy, and baby Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. warn Mac, the girls may go wild with the hairy look! joking aside, our prayers continue for him to heal and get strong enough to return to the Ridge....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maurie, Barbie, and Mac,
    Glad to hear ya'll are hanging in there. Mac always seems to find the funny part of situations, which helps him keep his spirits high. We miss you, and pray for you all everyday.

    Love,
    Uncle Eugene, Aunt Elena, Pat, Christopher, and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Again Carrs, how convenient we keep meeting up here. So here is the funny story of the day. I went to pick up my mom at work today so I left my house at about 4:50 (ok you caught me 5) cause she wanted to picked up at 5. So I parked in the parking lot and go upstairs. My mom was not ready to be picked up yet, she had to resend some email and fix or some stuff like that, So I stared walking around the building, when I walk into the copy room I picked up a rubber band and started playing with when I see a sign that says: Whose Glass' are these? So of course I looked at the glass (Keep in mind these are reading glass' not drinking glasses)and whose are they but mine that I think I not last seen since maybe before christmas. So I go back to my mom's office and asked her who put that sign up in there. She's says I did I found those in my office three months ago. So I told her mom those are my glass'. She said really i thought they were someone who works here. She did not even realize the glasses she bought for me what's up with that. HAHAHAHAHA I know it's weird to laugh at my own joke but I thought it was pretty funny. So did she and her coworkers.

    P.S. Mac what kind of music do you like? I will e-mail you too.

    P.S.S Hope you got my postcard

    P.S.S.S Sorry about my mom's long boring letter

    Your in our Presbyterian Prayers (Hope those are working out for you)

    Sincerley,
    His unroyal not really that funny guy Benjamin S Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Maurie, Barbie & Snuffaluffagus,

    I'm reading the post a day late, so I hope all is going well. Let me know when you need the Nair. Thinking of you all!

    Lots of love,
    B :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys, we are keeping you in our prayers. So Mac will learn to shave early eh? He's such a brave young man! We can learn so much from our children. Courage during adversity. Keep the faith!!
    Jodi Schwing

    ReplyDelete