Friday, October 9, 2009

I met with the hematologist today and the plan of the moment is to do 2 things at the same time... the first is to continue the path toward BMT aiming for January while at the same time repeating a course of ATG (this time with rabbit serum) which would start on Monday. It's all very intense and Mac will be monitored closely, especially since we know what serum sickness can do to him. I'm concerned because we're 2 1/2 months in now, and he's that much weaker and sicker than we were in August. But when your ANC is 0, and shows no sign of going up, they don't have a lot of choice. He has no way of fighting infections and flu with no white blood cells and something has to get his bone marrow jump started. And if things are going well in January, they can always call off the BMT. (By the way, it was the cyclosporin that made him hairy, not the ATG horse serum, in case any of you are still confused.) And since we ran the horse jokes into the ground, I'm holding off on tails, ears, and carrot jokes. I'm not thinking he's in the mood anymore!!

It's kind of like running a marathon... Thank you for keeping him in your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Still praying for your family and hoping these meds will kickstart his marrow into production without major side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Macintile,
    I found you in my thoughts today on my drive home from school. I was wondering What is your name Mac short for and I feel it could be short for a lot of things. First Macintile which really sounds like the latest Billy Maze Tile cleaner supplies. Now I am guessing that your Real name from Mac is Scottish because the scotts are all Mac while Irish are Mc. Personally being Scottish is better cause you have braveheart were as the Irish just have a parade. Now what if it stands for Macdonald and it's an old family name because your ancestor was BFFL (Best Friends for Life) with a guy named McDonald and they started a hamburger joint and then your ancestor went on a well earned vacation and then McDonald changed the name to his spelling and copyrighted the whole thing and your family lost all it's right's the the Mcdonalds around the world. So now you most go by Mac until one day you buy 51% of Mcdonalds stock to change the name back to what it should really be your first name.
    Now I know you might be thinking that Benjamin has hit the deep end, and even though Exams are done, I am noww convinced that Mac will one day own a "MACdonalds" restaurant. Just Imagine when all the kids are saying yeah I am heading down to Mac's for a Big Mac. OMG I just put it all together the Big Mac was created by your Macdonalds founding Ancestor and his BFFL Mcdonald stole the recipe and the name of the resturaunt.
    And you were staying at the Ronald Mcdonald House I bet if they knew who you really are they would have treated you like royalty.

    Sincerley, In my thoughts and prayers
    Benjamin (I wish I had a cool fast food joint as my name) Morrison

    ReplyDelete